Friday, December 02, 2005

Smirnoff

Smirnoff Vodka is another company with captivating commercials. Unlike Bacardi, Smirnoff does not use humor in their ads, but rather uses their commercials to deliver a blunt and effective message about their product. Now before I go into detail about why I like this certain ad campaign, let me clear something up. These various companies that I have talked about, namely Bacardi and now Smirnoff both have a line of coolers but this blog will focus on their signature, straight up product, for instance for Bacardi it was Bacardi Superior, and now for Smirnoff I will be focusing on their ad campaign for Smirnoff Triple Distilled. I take this focus because not being a drinker of coolers I am at a disadvantage for relating to their target market, and therefore the ads have less appeal to me.
Smirnoff’s Triple Distilled ad campaign is sharp and completely focused on the product. To reinforce this focus the background is set at a solid white, allowing the viewer no distractions. The main message of their commercials is how enjoyable the vodka is just by itself—neat. There are four commercials in this new series where they pitch how to drink the vodka “neat”. The first is just in a shot glass, the next is with a lemon twist, the final two, as a martini—showing an olive, and then a shaker. The print versions of the commercials can be seen below, however to view the commercials all you have to do is go onto the Smirnoff website at http://us.smirnoff.com/ The commercials are creative and keep the viewers attention. Also because there are no other items involved in the message such as people the product is more likely to stick in the viewer’s memory. Also, Smirnoff emphasizes drinking responsibly, which is stated at the end of every one of their ads. They even focused a whole commercial on the efforts one should make to get a designated driver before going out, which is a subject rarely touched by other alcohol companies. Again, as with their other commercials this one about the designated driver is set on a white background and shows only a set of keys, giving the message that is a serious issue.
I think what draws me most to this ad campaign, much like the other ones I have discussed, is the simplicity of it. They don’t show the social benefits or anything like that, just the product, crisp and clean, and I like that. I think this ad campaign is definitely going to prove to be profitable for Smirnoff.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home